So far I haven't even needed to use formal version control with the refactoring. It was pretty much "snip snip snip" into microservices and a bit of a tidy up along the way over the last 18 months. All looks good and it works in a rough sort of way.
But it is a very different story now getting it ready to deploy to the cloud so people can use it.
CriteriaSo what am I looking for in setting up DevOps?
- Version control
- It has to scale, be robust and reliable
- Automated builds
- Automated testing
- Automated deploy to multiple cloud environments
- Automated everything
- Continuous development
- Great for teams and remote developers
- Frequent small commits to the main branch and test
- Can also generate documentation
- Great reporting
- Great integration with other tools via open API
- Can include Database versioning
- Continuous Integration (CI)
My gut preference is to go open-source, with both command line and good GUI available, and be well documented.
So what is out there?